Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Soy. Paleo. EBV

Finally the last allergen has been tested, and it turns out that I am not sensitive to soy.  YAY!!!  Finally something that does not bother my system.  Funny though....soy is not a part of Paleo eating.

This allergy elimination has been the best thing that I have done to see what I am able to eat, and what I should stay away from.  Because I forced my body to stay away from dairy, gluten, corn, and soy for 3 weeks, I was easily able to pick out which of those items was causing which digestive symptoms that I was experiencing.   I HIGHLY recommended that everyone give this a try to see what foods you may be sensitive to, and not even know it.  The process is not too hard.  It does require reading food labels, and thinking outside of the box, when it comes to your regular eating plan. It is only 3 weeks of completely avoiding those foods, and it is so worth the knowledge that you gain from it.  As a bonus, I was able to lose a solid 9 pounds over the past 5 weeks.  Obviously, my gut is feeling better and my body is running more efficiently.    If you need some direction or want to know how to do an Allergy Elimination diet, message me and I can help you out.

So now what?

Now that I have diagnosed that I am NOT very gluten or corn tolerant, and that I have a sensitivity to dairy, I need to avoid those things.  I still feel that going with a Paleo eating plan is the way to go, for me.  As I mentioned in previous posts, I am going to try and go about 80% Paleo.  I am allowing myself to be forgiving, so that I may enjoy an occasional slice of pizza, or treats at a party or gathering.  I will still make smarter choices because I KNOW how my body reacts to certain foods, but I can't live in a bubble.  Circumstances happen that will cause me to have to live in the real world, and not have ideal food options available to me, and I need to be prepared for those situations.  

So what is Paleo?  Essentially, Paleo eating is the idea that humans should go back to eating real, whole, unprocessed foods.  So that seems pretty simple, right?  Well, it is a little more complicated than that.  With Paleo, you are focusing on foods that were eaten by cavemen (during the paleolithic era).  So, foods that you might find while hunting and gathering.  There was very little farming, so things like grains were not really consumed.  Dairy appears to be a gray area with Paleo.  Milk from animals would have been available back then, but it was not utilized (time was not taken for milking animals).  However, milk (specifically breast milk) was essential in feeding and nourishing babies.  From what I have read, and in my opinion, I believe that dairy that has been minimally processed would fit very well with a Paleo eating plan.  That being said, I am also finding tons of recipes for cheese that is made from almond or coconut milk, both of which are non-dairy.  

If you are curious about Paleo, here is a nuts and bolts description of what is involved.  Keep following my story for how I am making it work for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment