Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Week one

I am on day 7 of my 3 week allergy elimination diet.  I have to tell you, it has really been pretty easy.  Of course, I am focusing on fruits, veggies, mostly lean meats (grass fed, when I can), and my vegan chocolate Shakeology, because they are all easy to determine that they are gluten/dairy/soy/corn free.  I actually figured out how to make my favorite brownies (Baker's one bowl brownies) into gluten and dairy free brownies....and I though they still tasted AMAZING!!!  I have been able to eat out at a restaurant.  Did you know that many restaurants have allergy info on their websites.  My folks to my hubby and I to Bob Evans.  They have a FABULOUS food allergy chart on their website.   I had my iPhone out as I browsed the menu.  It is really a challenge to find items that are free from gluten, AND dairy, AND corn, AND soy, but I managed to do it!  I ordered everything a la carte - hickory ham, baked sweet potato (plain...yes, I enjoy them WITHOUT butter), and fruit cup.  The meal was filling and all in line with my strict dietary needs.

One Bowl Brownies and homemade icing.  ALL Gluten/Dairy/Corn/Soy FREE. 


An interesting observation from the week.  I have not necessarily been looking for 'lite' or 'low sugar' foods while I follow this plan.  I want to make sure that I keep myself strictly off the no no foods, so I am allowing myself to splurge on some things that fit my restrictions, but offer a treat to my sweet tooth.  I have been eating more REAL sugar than I typically do (I don't eat sugar much at all), and STILL, I can tell the bloat and swelling in my belly is going down.  It really is true that when you choose REAL, NATURAL foods, your body knows what to do with those foods, and it doesn't cause as much irritation to your digestive system.  Before I started my elimination diet, I took my measurements, and I will share my updated progress in a few days (I am taking them again tomorrow, at the beginning of week 2).

I have been trying to embrace this eating plan, instead of focusing on what I CAN'T eat, I am on the lookout for foods that I CAN eat.  If you take your time at the grocery store, you can find lots of great 'favorites' to sub into your plan.  It's official. My kids hate going grocery shopping with me. They do not like that I stop and carefully read the food labels on everything!!  I have really been craving cheese this week.  I don't eat a lot of cheese, but still I have been missing it.  Yesterday, I came across this find at the grocery store.

If fits my plan.  I was so excited!!! It was pretty decent too.  You can taste the rice pasta (which I really like), but the 'cheese' left a little to be desired.  That's OK though.  I don't think it is forever.  I am already in tune with how my body deals with dairy, even though I am doing this elimination for 3 weeks.  I will be able to add real cheese back (in moderation) into my eating plan in a few weeks. 

Who else out there is gluten, dairy, corn, or soy free (or some combination of those)?  I would love to hear about your favorite grocery store finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment